Saturday, July 28, 2012

Making choices..

I love bloghopping, especially blogs that have life stories. Real, everyday stories.

I found this post about taking charge of your own happiness while bloghopping sometime ago.
It certainly helped me keep my calm today. *edited to add: 'today' was 26/7, I didn't initially wanted to write this but I finally decided to write it anyway as a reminder to myself.

I had spent the entire day taking care of my family; waking up early preparing our pre-dawn meal, staying awake so that I wouldn't be late taking Shahrin to pre-school, came back home and crashed for a bit before Nazrin woke up and demanded my attention, followed by Khairin etc. Then, at noon, I went to pick Shahrin up, came home and did the dishes, the laundry, swept the floor..you know..household chores.

WHILE HE SLEPT.

This in itself isn't unusual. Even during normal days (pre-Ramadhan), he would sleep till noon. After 7 years of being married to him, I have learnt to take this 'condition' of his with patience.

Things went along as usual in this house till around 5pm when I got the boys ready for a trip to the nearest playground at the housing area. Shahrin has been badgering me to take him to the playground since forever. His pre-school teacher would sometimes take the entire school (of about 10 kids, heheh..) for a fun time at the playground which is just 5 minutes walking distance from the school (well, honestly, it is a residential house turned into a school/daycare, but ever since the second teacher was re-assigned, students have dropped from around 20'ish to only half of that). So, he would occasionally ask us to take him there too.

On that day, after promising him that I would take him and Nazrin there since 2 days before, we got ready for a day at the playground. I woke Ahmad up just to tell him that we were heading out. He got a little bit upset. I'm not sure whether he was upset over being woken up or the fact that we're going out. He did grumbled something about we shouldn't go out but since the boys were already in the car, I just told him that we'll be back soon.

The boys got to play with their brand new ball that day while I kept Khairin entertained. It was fun watching my 2 boys running around chasing the ball. They had fun on the slides too which were their favorite. Then, around 6pm, we all got back in the car to head on to our Pasar Ramadhan to buy food for breaking fast. As I drove along the road, I decided not to stop there as planned. There were too many people around plus I couldn't find a parking space close enough to the pasar. I didn't want to have to try and contain 2 boisterous boys while surveying the foods available there. The boys may not listen to me and run around in the crowd and got lost or hit by motorcycles. Plus, I would've had to carry Khairin too, so shopping for iftar had to wait.

So, I drove on back and got the boys inside. Ahmad was up and watching TV so I told him that I'm heading out again to buy food for iftar. My plan was to leave the boys with him and take the motorcycle to get back to the pasar. Nazrin saw me getting the keys and he immediately ran out as well. He's very alert when it comes to me or Ahmad getting ready to go out. Ahmad would always take him along whenever he goes out on his motorcycle so, Nazrin wanting to tag along is nothing new. Then, Shahrin also wanted to join us. He normally would ignore such trips as he prefers to watch cartoons but on that day, he wanted to come along to buy some curry puffs.

The problem was that Ahmad's motorcycle is kind of high and me being a petite person, often struggle when I'm handling it. My feet don't touch the ground when I'm on it and having Nazrin & Shahrin along is not an option. So, I casually asked Ahmad to take them instead and buy food for iftar.

He stormed off into our bedroom, put on a shirt and his jeans and stormed out. Before I could tell him what to buy for iftar, he'd already started the ignition and rode off with the boys. I was miffed at that time but I still have to cook the rice, so I headed back inside and decided to forget about Ahmad's moodiness.

About 20 minutes later, they came back with Shahrin crying, Ahmad sulking and Nazrin normal. Shahrin told me that Ayah just took them for a ride around the housing area and he didn't stop to buy anything. Shahrin kept on crying that he was hungry and he wanted the curry puffs. By this time, my annoyance had turned into anger but as iftar was only an hour away, I just had to improvised or we wouldn't be breaking our fast that day. All the while, I was steaming inside. I was tired, my son was unhappy with his father while he did nothing to help me. Instead, he had added on to my problems. While I was preparing our simple dish for iftar (luckily I had some minced chicken in the freezer, so I cooked it in some chili paste) I couldn't stop myself from thinking about the D-word.

It surfaces during times like these. Whenever Ahmad pushes my patience beyond the limit, the D-word would pop up. I mean, I kept thinking to myself, "Why do I put my kids and myself through this shit day after day? He's not gonna change, so why not ask him for a D?" During normal days, which can last for months, the D-word is pushed to the deepest place in my head but on days like this, it surfaces.

Then, I remembered the post I linked earlier. I told myself to calm down and not let him MAKE ME UNHAPPY. He is clueless. He is selfish but he does not have the power over MY EMOTIONS. Thinking about that made me calm down a bit. I was able to keep my cool about the whole incident and we were able to break our fast in relative calmness and normalcy. Had I not decided to not let him make me unhappy, I would've sulked at him or yelled at him and gave him the silent treatment. This would usually lead to him treating me the same which would result in a communication breakdown where he would just ignore me. I have learnt through experience that it is never good for me to have him that way since I totally depend on him to buy things from the store or look after the boys while I do my work or for other things as well.

I made it through the rest of the day by not showing him how angry I was at him for not buying food for iftar and for not buying those damned curry puffs for Shahrin (I managed to make him stop crying by promising to buy him some on the following day). If I had chosen to let him make me unhappy, I would've spent the rest of the day crying or stewing in anger which is not good since the D-word would come up.

Well, luckily today (27/7) was a bit better that that day. He woke up earlier than usual and he helped wash the dishes and helped with the boys. So, all in all, by making the decision to not put my emotions in his hands albeit him not knowing about it, has saved the day for all of us.

*sigh*





24 comments:

  1. sigh...best kan jadi laki? semua sama...yang depa tau goyang teloq, tidoq, main game...layan komputer...buat hal sendiri. Kita ni terhegeh-hegeh buat semua kerja from A to Z...hantaq/ambik anak, beli barang groceries, kerja rumah, masak, basuh baju semua...depa senang jer kerja kan...kita minta tolong sikit pun...satgi mula buat muka (i tak kata kat laki you, just tujukan kat 99% laki dalam dunia ni). Hat mada dapat yang lagi 1% lagi...bersyukurlah wei...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you just have to ask or direct specifically. Men are not mind reader. They can't even read your body language except when you dress in lingerie. Men are also direct, they dont hear between the words like women do. In fact they dont hear very well in broad sense. They only hear specifically what you said, directly. Do read "Why Men Don't Listen and Women Can't Read Maps" by Barbara Pease & Allan Pease if you wish to understand men and use it against them to gain your advantage.

      Delete
    2. errkk..helloooo!!!! abih kalau dah 80juta kali ask directly pun nothing ever gets done, who's problem is that? telinga you guys ka? and yes, i've always been direct with my husband, tak koser eh nak ayat basi basa or bagi hints or main kenyit2 mata to get him to help out..memang direct dah bahasa yg diguna.."Tolong buang sampah", "Tolong fix lampu bilik yg dah 2 tahun tak menyala nih" "Tolong pi beli lauk utk bukak posa satgi"

      how much more direct do you want????!!

      Delete
    3. I was not replying to you. It was a general comment about men vs. women. Not specific to you. You on the other hands should already do something else.

      Delete
  2. biaq pi la kat depa..yg penting depa kena ingat dosa2 kita + anak2 depa yg tanggung, so apa la sgt kita teruk kat dunia ni kan? <-- best dak ayat pujuk diri sendiri aku nih?

    aku nak train anak2 aku jadi suami yg baik n penyayang n caring.. takmo biaq depa jadi cam ayah depa..dia anak manja, dulu2 mana penah kena pukui..apa nak semua dapat..

    takpa la..sabaq ja la nooo...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Biaq pi is the worst action that you can take.

      “Sesungguhnya Allah tidak akan mengubah nasib suatu kaum kecuali kaum itu sendiri yang mengubah apa apa yang pada diri mereka ” (Surah Ar-Rad:11)

      Delete
    2. yes, biaq pi kat dia coz apa2 perubahan would have to come from him.. I can't make that change for him..no matter how many times i pray for it

      Delete
    3. Disagree. Praying alone will not help you.

      Delete
  3. you should wear the pants....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tidur sampai tgh hari? Malam kerja ka?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you ever ask for D previously? I mean was it popped in your head or was it popped from your mouth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. once..3 years ago

      and i wouldn't want to ever utter it again

      Delete
    2. I'm still trying to understand a few things:
      1. Does he ever read your blog? (he has a smartphone, right?)
      2. How about his family, do they read this all? (you link with FB, so I assume they do)
      3. How about your family? (you link with FB, so I assume they do)
      4. Do you want him to read this blog?
      5. Does he has a stable career?
      6. Does he love you? Did he say it? Or he showed it?
      7. Do you consider the incident (in this post) as once-off/acute, escalating, chronic, or reducing?

      Delete
  6. ok..all you Mr or Ms Anonymous,

    not sure whether there's more than one person here but next time please don't hide behind anonymity ok..

    i would prefer knowing the person behind the comments..good or nasty

    thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. apology if I did sound nasty. none of my comments was intended to sound like that. as you know, writing does not have voice tone embedded in, hence it may sometimes sounds harsher than it should be.

      anonymity enables me to comment. i would prefer to keep that. otherwise i wouldn't pen anything at all in here. if you really really really wish to know who am i, i'll just not comment anymore.

      regards

      Delete
    2. Now, do read the comment above with a smile and girly voice. You'll feel the difference.

      After that please read my first comment today with a teaching and friendly voice. Have a pleasant iftar today!

      Delete
    3. Just for the nice 'sarcasm' above, I am smiling hahah..

      Yes, dear Sir, writing does not have voice tone but readers can definitely use their imagination while reading, right? So, when I first read your comments, especially the first one, teaching and friendly voice sure was not on my 'listening list' yesterday, since I read it amid the chaos that is my boys. Sure, your comment does have a lesson behind it but I can personally attest that even a direct approach can fail with guys. I would love to read that book you mentioned if you're willing to lend it to me. *hint2*

      As for the anonymity thing, YES, I would prefer to know the person I'm communicating with. Wouldn't you? I can't force you to reveal yourself but if you would rather not comment without the anonymity, then that is totally your choice. Personally, if I know the person who is commenting, then I would've read his/her comment (positive or negative, sorry about saying 'nasty') with a friendlier voice. I don't mind 'assvices' *heheh* but I do mind who it came from.

      So, that cleared, I will be answering all the other comments in a separate post. Stay tuned! <-- cheery voice

      Delete
  7. Rindulah Kak Anis yang dulu, yg cheeky, yg ceria, yg ulat buku. Miss Pekaka damn so much. We have good time kann zaman bujang dulu??

    ReplyDelete
  8. i ceria tak dulu?heheh...

    My opinion, sometimes, people feel free to talk when they are anonymous and the real message will be delivered..
    when you get to know the person behind it..they will feel reluctant to speak up their mind and being polite...

    anggap je secret admirer..hahaha..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adik, dulu takdak tanggungjawab melainkan fokus pada study saja.. skg ni ada 3 budak kecik yg totally dependent dgn org, tu yg kadang2 rasa terbeban sesgt bila Ahmad tak tolong..

    apo nak dikato..hahah

    Zarin, dulu hg bz dgn gitar n panjat gunung ja hahaha
    sempat gak la nyanyi seround 2 kan? hehe

    tu Anonymous ckp nak reveal, kita tunggu dan lihat lah..

    jangan terkejut kalau tetiba blog aku lenyap dari alam maya pasni (akibat malu yg teramat sgt :D)

    ReplyDelete