Monday, October 1, 2012

Busting out the bigger clothes.

I was finally able to rummage through my storage boxes this morning for 6 - 12 month baby clothes. Khairin is already too big for the hand-me-down teeny tiny new-born baby clothes. This would be the 4th time I did something like this; store away new-born/3-6 mo clothes and take out bigger ones. The first 2 times was with Nazrin, so today is Khairin's turn. I usually store away booties, mittens, swaddles and other new-born paraphernalia when my confinement period is over because I'm lazy like that. Bigger clothes for 0-6 mo are usually stored away only when my babies got too big for them. My babies are all on the smallish side of the spectrum, that's why I always wait until they really fill in their clothes (I'd still wait even if the clothes are labeled as 0-3 month but they can still wear it when they are already 5 months old) before buying/taking out bigger ones. 

Shahrin was the lucky one, he got all brand new clothes when he was a baby. Then, when his clothes began to look too snug for comfort, we bought bigger clothes for him, plus a few hands-me-down from our neighbor. I didn't know what to do with the smaller clothes at first because we didn't have any cabinet space for them. Then, I found a blog with organizing tips, from it I learned that I should keep them in an air tight container for use with future babies. So, I bought a plastic storage box and began sorting through Shahrin's baby clothes and carefully stored them in it. I didn't put any mothballs in, hate the smell but so far (it's been 6 years now) my baby clothes are well stored with no smell, infestations or decay.   

6 years later plus 2 more babies, my storage system has grown into 3 more plastic storage boxes. These boxes are stacked one on top of the other in a corner of our bedroom. It is a good storage system since it allows me to easily store and take out baby clothes (plus my preggy blouses) without having to buy new dressers plus I can save space. The number of clothes; new-born, toddler, big boy has certainly grown over the years thanks to our neighbor and our families who gave new and used clothes to us. Of course, we've also bought new clothes for Nazrin and Khairin since we didn't feel it was fair not to buy them new clothes as well.

After 3 kids, I no longer feel nostalgic when the time comes to make the transition from new born clothes to bigger ones. I didn't hold up a onesie and hug it close to my heart or place it close to my nose to sniff the baby smell on it, heh. I didn't waste 15 minutes just lovingly stroking the cute matching T-shirt and shorts with a baby lion on it. I didn't stop and stare in wonder at how tiny 0-6mo clothes are compared to 6-12mo clothes. And off course I didn't just sat there and reminisce about how cute Khairin looked in the pair of purple shorts. Heh heh heh.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment