Saturday, January 21, 2012

My busy days..

For the past 2 weeks, I've been swamped with assignments, one after another.

Yeah right..there were only three but since I always procrastinate and only get serious when the dateline is like Hellooo!!! TOMORROW!! I've had to stay up late just to finish them off. *sigh*

Seems like I never learn from my mistakes. I do them over and over and over....
A high school motivator once said, "Stupidity is when you repeat your mistakes again and again, expecting different results."

Anyway, I think I'd like to list them just in case anybody who read this blog (local) would like to hire me. *wink wink*

1- I did some data entry for a school teacher who was too busy with other stuff.* Data entry is the simplest job I get and although the pay is small (I usually charge RM0.30/data depending on the difficulty), at least I earn some pocket money for me & my boys.

2- This is the first time I get to do transcribing. A client sent me a CD with a 50min video in it and instructed me to write down everything that was said in the video. I was stupid enough to think that "Well, it's just 50 min, that's not gonna take long to finish.." and took my time doing it till 2 days before the dateline. Hahah..I finally had to stay up all night the night before I had to email the finished document to my client and suffered terribly the whole day. What made this assignment hard was because I had to rewind the video again and again just to really catch the conversation going on in it. All in all, I earned quite a lot for this one (and we celebrated by going to Pizza Hut and had ourselves a set for 2 of the cheesy wedges pizza, will definitely order this again next time we go there) and had secured a contract with this client for more transcribing projects. Alhamdulillah.

3- The last one was a translating project. This one was actually sub-contracted to me by another fellow 'technical writer'. Her son had to be admitted for dengue fever, so she couldn't make the dateline and asked me to cover for her. So, I translated 8 pages of a journal and still waiting for my payment to get through. This project was quite easy enough, so no complaints here.

Personally, I think editing and proofreading is way easier to do than translating but truthfully, each projects comes with their own challenges. I did paraphrasing once and I definitely find this the hardest of all because I have to be very careful with my wordings since I need to keep the context the same, just worded differently. I really struggled with this project but I did get paid quite a lot, so I really shouldn't be complaining. heheh.

Well, today after finishing all my projects, I finally crashed.
I've been sleeping on and off again all day. The boys kept me from having one long break but then again, this is nothing new. Just woke up from my 3rd nap today *grin* and decided to write this post as a reminder to myself to not repeat this mistake again.

* The data entry project was actually eye-opening for me. I found out that in our community, there is a high number of single moms who had to support their children on meager wages. Most of them lost their husbands due to death; medical, accidental, some to divorce (I'm only presuming since they don't have any death certificate attach to their other documents) and there are also grandparents who had to support their grandkids with money doing farming only.

Kind of made me realized just how lucky I am....

No comments:

Post a Comment