Tuesday, January 10, 2012

What do you do when there's nothing to do?

SCARE UP SOME FELT! (sing it like the Happy Monster Band do in Disney Junior)

As promise, this post is about the up-cycling I did for Shahrin's 'new schoolbag' (which should have been completely unnecessary if only I can remember where I stored his old schoolbag...)

Anyhoo..just 3 days to go before school started last week on 4th Jan (why did the Ministry of Education allowed the first day of school to start in the middle of the week anyway? duuhh) and I suddenly remembered that I had Shahrin's old schoolbag stored away. Mind you, even when I have limited spaces to 'store' stuff, I've actually managed to misplace so many things over the years. Signs of my mind getting older and feebler (if that's even a word...) With 2 more days to go and I still couldn't find his bag, I asked Ahmad to buy him a new one with the instruction to not buy something expensive, yet, since we can splurge later next year when he goes to primary school (gasp!!!! my 1st born is almost 7???). Here is what Ahmad came up with:

Plain RM2.00 2nd-hand bag that Ahmad bought at the night market.

It's actually an Allianz bag.
I made this name tag for Shahrin to cover the original logo.
I used 2 sheets of felt; one blue for the letters and a grey sheet for the back piece.

This was done the day before school started which was on Wednesday of last week. I've also made something else out of felt, to put on the front of the bag since it looked too plain. I'm trying to make a felt applique, but it is a bit complicated, plus our little family's current health condition made it impossible to finish it on time. 

This is a downloaded picture, curtsy of Mr. Google that
I printed on a piece of paper as a  template.
This is the half-finished felt version.
A Thomas felt-applique.

They look 'almost' the same, right? 
It's taking way too long to finish up the details. If only I can zoom in closer on these pictures, I can show you just how horrible my stitches are. I'm thinking of buying one of those bigger-sized cross-stitch needle with embroidery floss or something for the lines along Thomas, to make them pop-up more. Regular needle and thread is taking too long plus the thread do not show to much on felt. 

Well, hopefully I can show the end result soon. Till then, toodles. 

3 comments:

  1. cayalah kak anis. hand made yg kreatif. buleh buat untuk bag kelas paklang sekali x? ngeh2.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paklang: nak ker beg pi kuliah ada Thomas cam Shahrin ni? heheh..

    Kruzar: rasanya beg free dr Allianz kut pehtu ada org juai, Ahmad plak dah dapat arahan jgn beli mahal2..beli la beg ni heh

    ReplyDelete