Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Upcycled black tank top: Cute tote.

As usual, I'm not trying to present a tutorial but just showing what I did with this tank top.
This is another simple upcycle project to turn something I can't use into something I love.

The tank top in its original condition sans the bra straps that
I've taken out before taking this picture.
 The finished project!
Doesn't it look pretty? It took me only half a day* to turn the tank top into this tote.
Unfortunately, I don't have a handy strap to go with it. Luckily, I found the black
luggage straps among my trash stash and decided to use it with this tote.

 Basically, all I did was sew in the polka dotted gross grain ribbon across the top part of the tank top and downwards through its center. I bought the ribbon from Cintahati Craft along with some felt, more ribbons, a magnetic sheet and buttons that I have yet to use. *sigh* Next, I sewed close the bottom part of the tank top and sewed the corners into smallish triangles.  

Up close and personal.
Remember that fabric flower from my previous post? I made felt leaves to go along with it. 
I know I made more than 1 flower but when I tried putting on all 3 of them on the tote, they looked so crowded. That's why I only sewed on 1 flower here as embellishment. 

Oh, btw, do you notice the buttons along the top part? I saw Shahrin playing with them and putting them onto the ribbon just like that while I was still deciding on what to do with the tote. His inspirational idea made him really proud when I showed him what I did, hehe. 

On a totally unrelated note, can't wait for Thursday to come. I have a date with baby in my tummy!!! Maybe I'll use this new tote for my next visit to the doctor. Mmmm can't wait to see baby. hehehe..

* half a day to sew and finish up the tote but 3 days to find the right handle/straps for it. Actually, I haven't decided if I want it to be a cross-body bag or just a tote, if you notice the 2nd and 3rd picture. 
What do you think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment