Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Parenting lessons much?



The following are my response/answer to each scenarios based on my experience as a 'young' (LOL) mother.

1. I have not taught my boys to pick up rubbish outside of our home yet. So far, they've only been taught to throw rubbish in the bin and not to litter around the house or outside. My only problem is with Ahmad who just loves to leave bits of plastics/wrappers/ciggy butt/ash wherever he's been sitting. I've told my boys over and over about the virtue of not littering, however, I do believe their father needs a lesson or two too. In terms of picking up rubbish outside, I think I'm going to wait till Nazrin is a bit bigger/older before introducing him to that activity. Shahrin already knows not to litter but in time I'll teach him to pick up rubbish (whenever applicable/reasonable) when we're outside.

2. I haven't been as nice as Molly with my response. Depending on my mood or my stress level for that moment, I'd either try to decline nicely and give my reasons or would just flat out say NO!. Such incidence has only happened with Shahrin as he can already understand what I am currently doing and for what. The chores that Shahrin has offered to help are to put his formula into his bottle himself, to put the sugar &/or Milo into the cup, to sweep the floor and to make the bed. Understandably, his 'help' usually is not really helpful but I do appreciate them and thank him for doing so (whenever I'm in a good mood hehe). Nazrin has yet to offer his help around the house but you can expect him to create more work for me instead hehe.

3. Hmmm...I'll get back to this part when I have a daughter. *wink wink*

4. This behavior is what always gets to me, especially when Shahrin is the one not wanting to share. I've told him over and over about the virtue of sharing and would always point it out to him when a cartoon/children's show he's currently watching, features the good thing about sharing. He sometimes would share with Nazrin but usually it's a fight fest with those 2. What I've done so far, again depending on my stress level, has been to tell him to share with his brother. I'd do this about 2 or 3 times while they keep fighting over whatever it is they are fighting over. Then, if things start to get out of hand, I'd offer Nazrin something else to play with. Sometimes it works but most of the time, Shahrin would want that one instead and I have to convince Nazrin to play with the previous toy/stuff they were fighting over. There have been times things got so out of hand, I had to remove Nazrin from the play area altogether. I'd distract him by pointing out things I see outside; i.e. chicken, birds, squirrels. Usually, it works and we'd have such fun that Shahrin would join us. From my experience, these situations usually require a 'touch and go' kind of approach. If one tactic doesn't work, then I'd use another one and another and another. Can't wait till they both outgrow this phase. *sigh*

Unfortunately, I do believe that I am not a good mother at all. My reactions have always been driven by my stress/mood level and not much thinking. However, I do make it a point to talk to Shahrin (Nazrin is currently still to little to be reasoned with :D) about his behavior and why I have to scold him for doing something. Sometimes he understands and most of the time, it's 'in one ear and out the other' but we'd always cuddle up afterwards.

Hopefully my parenting methods wouldn't do too much damage to my boys. Gulp.   

No comments:

Post a Comment