Saturday, June 25, 2011

A summary of incidences..

Wow, it's been a long time since I last posted something here.

Work is still at the trial-and-error phase though my office-mate cum partner-in-crime has been really understanding and great at showing me how to do things here. Even though we are almost 10 years different, age-wise, I think she is very much more mature than I am. She delegates wisely, stayed cool when we were swamped with completing tender proposals and always ready to answer my questions regarding our company.

The past weeks has been about learning my way through the intricate network of documents pertaining our company's service-business. I updated the list of outside workers (those working at the site) plus their current contracts and their updated salary. Other than that, I mostly assisted my office-mate with day-to-day workload.

Then, we were hit with tender proposals upon tender proposals. We've completed 10 tender applications (my first experience with completing tenders) just yesterday and our boss had just brought in 10 more tenders. *gasp* Each one as thick as a Webster dictionary, maybe even more. 2 of them are due by the end of the month while the other 8 are due by 15th next month. Each and everyone of them have calculations in them, meaning we're going to be bent over the pages with a calculator by our side.

As per my side-business, I've only got one project this whole month. A friend of a friend asked me to edit 5 pages of her MSc project proposal. Unfortunately for me, on the day I was supposed to e-mail her the completed documents, the internet connection at the office was suspended due to unpaid internet bills. Duuuhhh. So, I had to improvise. I saved the document into my thumb-drive and took it home with me.

Oh, and by the way, my broadband modem is currently MIA. !waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I don't know what happened to it. Ahmad said maybe someone stole it since the day I found out that my b/band modem was missing, he said 2 of his mother's friends came over with their children. Maybe one of the children took it home with them. I myself am thinking that it could be Nazrin who loves to play games on my lappy. So, maybe that day he pulled out the modem and played with it and left it somewhere. I've searched around the house but since Ahmad's bundles are all over the place, I might have missed it. We've reported it to Maxis and the person I spoke to on the phone informed me that my b/band account is currently suspended. During this time, I will not be charge with anything and it will last 3 month. If I ever find my modem back, I'll only have to pay RM20 to reconnect my account. However, I think I need to terminate this account and buy myself a new modem instead. No internet at home is not good for me because.....

In continuance with my previous story regarding my editing project, I had to go to the nearest cybercafe in order to email my customer's document to her. I always hated going to cybercafes. I hate their dark interior, the closeness (no privacy!) of each computers in it and the worst, the noisy gamers playing online games. Not forgetting the smell of ciggies and BO and sweaty teens. Most of the gamers in these cafes are school students wasting their allowance on hours of mindless games. So, getting back to my story, when I tried to send the document through email, Yahoo! flashed me a notice. My email was scanned and deemed harmful to the recipient due to the presence of Trojan virus in my document. SAY WHAT?????!!!!    

I've never had this problem before, so I panicked. I needed to send that document that day and my email was blocked?? So, I scanned my thumb-drive (while all the noise in that CC were making me progressively uncomfortable) and found Trojan infection all over my documents. DANG!!! The only option I had was to delete all the infected files but I can't do that because most of the files I kept in there are not backed-up. Stupid, I know but I never thought something like this could happen. *buhuhu*

The next day, with the internet connection in our office still blocked, I went to see a friend in USM, I went to the MSc room and asked to use her lappy there since they have LAN. The moment I clicked on my thumb-drive's icon, her lappy's scanner flashed red. Then, it completely blocked my thumb-drive. Nothing we did could open the files in it. I was getting really frustrated by this point so I went to see another friend there who is a computer-technician. I asked him to repair my thumb-drive the best that he can and he hasn't call be back yet. I'm still waiting for him to contact me regarding my 'sick' thumb-drive. I had to call my customer and told her the unfortunate events that had befallen me. Luckily, she's a very understanding person and wasn't mad at me for being late.

Thankfully, my boss paid the late internet bill and we now have access again (thus my updating my blog heheh). I think, the virus came from this computer I'm using and it has infected my thumb-drive. I'm saying this because when I attached the documents for my customer and emailed her from here, the email went through with no problems at all. Anyways, I'm just glad that I was finally able to send her the edited proposal and get my payment for it.

Well, I guess that's about it for now.
Have a nice day, folks.

2 comments:

  1. it is not ok. it means that the antivirus on the 'ok' computer is not updated or not good enough...

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's true..we have an old antivirus here at the office, i've downloaded a free antivirus but it too recommended that infected files should be deleted, unfortunately, files in this computer are company-related so i can't delete them..

    any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete