Saturday, July 10, 2010

Nanny 911

I had the opportunity to watch NTV7's Nanny 911 tonight.

It was an eye opener.

Or rather, it solidifies what I've personally known but just didn't really want to think too much about. My parenting skills SUCKS, big time!

Without going into the details regarding the show, I would just like to remind myself of these points:

1 - Yelling, screaming, loud voice: is not a good way to communicate to a child. However angry I am with my children, I HAVE TO control myself. Shahrin has picked up on this bad trait; whenever he gets frustrated, angry or plain cranky, he'd scream, yell or act out. Hopefully, this bad behavior can be fixed, starting with me.

2 - Hitting, pinching, slapping hands: is not a good way to discipline a child. I have to come up with better ways to discipline my boys. I don't want them to think that it's ok to be physical if you don't get your way.

3 - I need to reconnect with Shahrin. I've kind of put him second after Nazrin in every activity. He always have to wait for his bottle because Nazrin is breastfeeding (although he always, ALWAYS asks for his bottle right when I'm BF Nazrin). I always scold him for being rough with Nazrin even when it's Nazrin who's bothering him.

4 - I need to be more open with my children. Shahrin is such a sweet boy, he listens to me, most of the time, he helps out when I ask him to. So, I don't have to be frustrated with him just because he takes 5 minutes deciding what he wants to play on the computer while I'm rushing him just because I want to watch TV.

There's more, but the most important lesson I've learned watching that show is my sons will pick up on my behavior, so I have to behave!

No comments:

Post a Comment