Saturday, August 14, 2010

It pays to be nice.

A cliche: WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND

Why have I stated that cliche? Well, mostly because it's true and partly because I don't know any proverb that reflects the Malay language's proverb of "Buat baik dibalas baik", maybe, "Do onto others" or is it "Don't do onto others"?

Anyway, I took the boys with me to Bagan Serai's Ramadhan Market this evening in search of kerabu (salad?). Haven't have this delicacy in a very long time, so I risked Shahrin wanting to pee while we were there and Nazrin's cranky mood. I braved the crowd with Nazrin in one hand and Shahrin holding the other. It was still early when we got there and there was only a thin crowd, buying their food of choice, so we were able to move around quite easily.

Just as we were nearing the end of the market and about to turn around, I heard someone calling me. It was someone I know from when we were selling bundles, though I only know her in passing. She has a kueh stall at the place where we usually put up our bundle stall and I'd always buy breakfast from her. We chatted and exchange 'husband stories', you know, the usual girl talk. Today was no different, even though we haven't seen each other in a very long time, she saw me and right away called me over to give my sons some doughnuts. She has opened a kueh stall at the Ramadhan market too.

While we were chatting, Shahrin suddenly yelled out, "I need to pee!". I panicked because knowing Shahrin, his pee can't be contained very long. As I was frantically looking around for a place for Shahrin to pee, she offered to take care of Nazrin. Thankfully, I handed him over to her and rushed Shahrin of to a nearby shop. Luckily, the girl at the shop remembered me and allowed us to use her toilet. We had frequented her shop before and I always made small talk with her. After Shahrin has finished his business, we went to pick up Nazrin. We said our goodbyes and continued on our/my quest to find my kerabu.

As we were passing a beverage stall, Shahrin began to point at their watermelon drink container and demanding a drink even when I told him no. Seeing no way to avoid an all out tantrum, I gave in, after all, one packet of the drink is only RM1.00. As I was handing the money over to the stall owner, I found out that it was another person I know. He declined the money saying that it was free. Thankfully, I took the drink and left after making small talk with him.

So, in one day, I was blessed with a lot of help and free food from people I have been nice to. If I haven't known these individuals and been friendly with them, I would have been in BIG trouble.

There you have it folks, "SMILE AND THE WORLD WILL SMILE WITH YOU"

2 comments:

  1. Ya Ya..pepatah melayu mengatakan buat baik di balas baik, buat jahat jangan sekali. sorong papan tarik papan...eh tu dah pantun lain kan kan kan..

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahakss...betul tu..suh ngaji dia pi jln2 kat pasar ramadhan la plak

    ReplyDelete