Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Reality TV shows.

There are a lot of reality TV shows going on these days, just to much I think.

I watched my 1st reality show, Akademi Fantasia S1 (AF) before I started my MSc. I only watch it on and off throughout the season without really 'getting into it'. The whole SMS voting thing just didn't seem right to me.It was more like a popularity contest rather than a talent contest, though Vince, the 1st winner is really a good singer.

Then there's the American Idol (AI). Same kind of judging format/structure. I did follow the season where Kelly Clarkson won The Idol, bits and pieces of it anyway. The show really put out very talented contestants on that stage; Fantasia Barino, Adam Lambert, Carrie Underwood etc but again, I personally think that SMS judges are more based on favoritism than talent alone. But arguably, other people would say that because the viewers are given the power to vote, they are able to choose very carefully who they want as the winner. Since the contestants are required to perform different songs for their weekly performances, the viewers (hard-core followers that is) can really assess their favorite contestant's abilities.

Other reality shows that caught my attention are America's Next Top Model, Project Runway, The Biggest Loser & TBL Asia, So You Think You Can Dance and Top Chef. Now these shows do not have the SMS voting format and judging are done by either by judges or by elimination. One other thing that makes me watch these shows more is because they are not musical talent contests. I love music and I know everyone love music too, so maybe that's why AF and AI have the kind of format that they have. By allowing the public vote via SMS, the music industry can take stock of the kind of singer the public would prefer better or the types of music that will be topping the charts.

Unlike the latter shows I've listed. These shows may attract only 1/3 or 2/3 of the population because of their specific form of contest. Not everyone would want to watch models strutting down the runway or a couple of chef running around in the kitchen. As for me, I followed these shows because of their connection in human-interest. Models entering ANTM and PR had things to prove to themselves and the world, they entered because its their dream. TBL/Asia entered because they wanted to change their lifestyle for the better. The same goes for SYTYCD and TC, every contestant entered because they have a dream. They work hard to make their dream come true and they are judged by what they have to show for it.

I'm not saying that the contestants in AF & AI entered just for the fun of it. They too have dreams; Adam Lambert spoke about putting his dream of becoming an artist 'out there' for the universe to make come true. And the positive energy he has surrounding this dream has put him in the position to succeed in AI and the music industry.
I just don't agree on the voting system, that's all.
I'm not doing this to get on anybody's nerve or provoke anything,
it's just my thought on the subject. Maybe it's also because I envy these people who were willing to open themselves and embrace the chance to make their dream come true, no matter what comes their way. I wish I have a dream too.


No comments:

Post a Comment