Monday, October 11, 2010

Shopping Day!

Last night, my hubby suddenly told me that if he's not called to go on a trip (when I say trip, it means he'd have to deliver stuff to customers somewhere, not the fancy kind of trip :p) we could go shopping.

Man, was I so excited! It felt like it has been ages since we last went shopping. Though the truth is it has only been 5 month since we crashed financially. Seems like his job is really taking off and I am so thankful for that at least. Our financial problem has put quite a strain on our marriage, so much so that I very nearly flipped and say "Sayonara" to him. I think I wrote something about it here, written in anger and a little bit of self-pity. The red flags are real but our financial situation back then pushed his flaws in my face and they were like the salt in my wound. I had wanted him to fix everything, to be the man of the house, provide and protect us. When he didn't, all the things said to me by everyone before we got married, resurfaced, making me feel angry. Mostly at myself for wanting him to be someone he's not.

Anyway, things are looking better and better these few weeks. He began giving me allowances again, he is playful and sweet again, as opposed to the 1st month of our financial crash. I am able to save some money again instead of withdrawing them. In hind sight, I think most of my anger comes from the feeling of being ripped off by my own hubby. I felt used and a little bit resentful because I had put a lot of effort into accumulating my savings. During the time friends spent their scholarship/school loan on stuff/entertainment, I did my best to be frugal. I like to think that I had used my money wisely and I have a solid account to prove it. It took me my whole undergrad years to save that much. Then, when we hit rock bottom financial-wise, we had to turn to my savings to tide us over, plus my parents allowances (oh the shame!), which really make me feel used since he has no savings of his own. It really hurts to see the numbers going down because it took me years to build that amount, and in just a few months, they are gone.

Anyhoo, he wasn't called away today, so we went to Tesco Taiping for a little R&R. First, we had lunch at McDonald's, Taiping Sentral. We ordered a large set of Big Mac, Oreo McFlurry and an ApplePie. The boys shared the fries and ice cream while my hubby and I split the Big Mac between us. Yuuummmyyyy! Then, we window-shopped for new clothes for the boys. Shahrin is growing taller and most of his long pants are now more of the 3-quarter type. Nazrin needs new clothes too since Shahrin can still wear most of his T-shirts and there's none to hand down to Nazrin. So, we went to a few shops selling children wear and the final counts are 2 short pants, 1 long pants and a sleeveless shirt for Shahrin while Nazrin only gets a pair of pants and a T-shirt. We either didn't like the design or couldn't yet afford the ones we liked. Overall, I think we did okay with the selections.

Then we headed out to Tesco to stock up our kitchen (not that there's going to be a lot of cooking) with our basic necessities; Shahrin's formula, sugar, Milo, mix veges, Vitagen and a few more stuff. While I was pushing the trolley down the aisle, bumping into people, selecting merchandise, I felt good about life again. I felt almost normal again. I am not the type who shops a lot but when I do shop, I always feel good about myself. I buy what I need and that's that.

We were like a normal middle class family, doing our shopping like any other normal families. It felt good to have our finances in order again.

ALHAMDULILLAH....

No comments:

Post a Comment