Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Part 1: Upcycled T-shirts. (Crafting craze!)

Well, now that I've finished proofreading the thesis my 'client' gave me, I would be able to post about some of my crafting projects. The Crafting Craze will be done in 3 parts; Part 1, upcycled t-shirts, Part 2, felt crafts' starter kit and Part 3 is the actual craft I made myself for my son's preschool teacher. Oooouuuu..can't wait to tell you guys all about them but I have to be smart & divide the news in parts to make sure that I would have more posts for the next few days. Hahahah....

Ahem..

Anyway, regarding the upcycled t-shirt, I found 2 lovely t-shirts that if I were skinny, I would've worn them every single day. I love the texture, color and the stripes on the t-shirts but they were too small for me. Plus, I can't wear horizontal stripes, they would make me look even bigger, right? Basic fashion rule.

Ahmad said I could have them (they were in our bundle stash) so I decided that if I can't wear them, I might as well do something else with them.

Blue shirt with dark blue stripes, wide round-neck collar. Love it!

Brownish shirt with a collar.
So, I took out my scissors and began to hack away at the sleeves and some of the bottom part of the T-shirts. Again, I'm not doing a tutorial here, just telling you guys what I did with these lovely shirts that I can't wear (buhuhu...). I used the long sleeves of the blue one to make a long strap and I kept the bigger bottom portion of the shirt for another project. Since the brown shirt has short sleeves, I had to cut strips out of the bottom part to make the straps. Then, I turned them inside out and sewed down starting from the opened sleeves area till the bottom. I sewed the bottom part too and made 2 triangle shapes at both ends. Not really sure what they are called among tailors/seamstresses, though. So, have you figured out what they have turned into yet? 






Yes! I made sling-bags out of them! Aren't they cute? I especially LOVE the blue bag, with its round-neck as the opening and the clean stripes. I can't wait to use them. This had to be the easiest project ever. Maybe next time I rummage through Ahmad's bundle stash, I'd find more shirts to be turned into bags. Yay! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment