Thursday, March 24, 2011

Happy Day!

A few months ago Shahrin saw a boy bought a golf toy set at the shop we frequented. He wanted to buy one too at that time but I managed to distract him with something else. I was saved for that day and thought he wouldn't even remember ever wanting it. 

Last week, I'm not sure how, he remembered about the golf set and kept asking me to buy it for him. He just wouldn't stop asking about it. No amount of "NO!" from me kept him from asking for that set. He pestered me all day long, saying one thing to the other, even going as far as saying, "You love me Ibu? I want to play golf." Seriously, I am not lying! Ahmad went back to the shop but they no longer have any golf set.

So, I finally told him that we have no money. Know what Shahrin said? "I have in my piggy bank. Ibu pi bank and ambik la duit tu.." with 1 finger wagging in the air. I burst out laughing but I was also touched by his offer. It hurt a little when I couldn't even buy my son a toy set.  To have him offer HIS money just so he could have fun like a normal kid, really rubbed salt on my financial wounds.

In an effort to make him cease, I told him that when I have the money to buy one, I would buy him one. I promise. A few more sentences along that line and he was satisfied that he WILL get the golf set one day. Fortunately, for both of us, I did 2 paper editing the last 3 weeks and was due nearly RM70 in payment. So, after my writing class today, I went to see the friends who asked me to edit those papers. With that money, I was able to buy the coveted golf set for Shahrin. It was worth driving in the rain, on a motorbike in fact.

 
Stopping for a little cartoon break.

Having a 'cuppa' amongst the new toy.

Shahrin's part of the set.

Nazrin, clueless with what to do with them.

Right now, he's sleeping with that same ball clutched tightly in his hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment