Saturday, March 12, 2011

The silver lining..more simple recipes.

After my Ahmad decided to quit his job (again!), I was faced with the dilemma of cooking for my family. Don't get me wrong, I like cooking but I'm not a very good cook, plus I don't know that much recipes. However, when faced with the responsibility of feeding 4 hungry tummies, my especially heh, on a tight budget, I do believe I got by quite well.

Just this week alone I tried two more of my mom's recipes. 1stly because I miss my parents so much (wei Ateh! Let go of them!! I need them here!!!!) and 2ndly because these recipes were very simple to do.

The first one is the simple fried dumpling.



Please excuse the uneven-shaped dumplings.
They were supposed to be roundish and puffed up but this was the best that I got.

The ingredients:
Flour
Sugar
Water

That's it!

Very simple, isn't it? All you need to do is mixed these ingredients together till they are the consistency of a slightly runny dough. I do recommend putting in the sugar a little at a time, giving the dough a taste before frying it. It should taste just a bit sweeter than plain dough.

I used a spoon to scoop up a bit and plopping it into hot oil. I should have used my hand to scoop it, then it would have been rounder. Another advice, pour in a lot of oil into the frying pan, make sure it is very hot before frying the dumpling. Scoop in just 2 or 3 at a time because they will poof up. When they've turned golden brown, remove them from the oil.

This sardine with chili complimented (hah! 'compliment' my *ss, this was the only dish available to be eaten with the dumplings, my mom usually serves the dumplings with curry :p) the sweet dumplings quite nicely. Yummy!!

The second one is Bengkang Roti.
(erm..sorry, don't actually know the word for bengkang in English)



This is the finished product. I know it looks unappetizing but it was quite nice,
if I do say so myself. It should have looked like an upside-down cake, of sorts, but due to technical problems (eh? say what?) the result was quite disappointingly charred.


It started this way:

Soak a few slices of day-old stale bread in coconut milk.
You can also use fresh bread and plain milk.
I used 6 slices of a day-after-the-expired-date Gardenia bread.
Heh, no point in throwing away the bread, they still looked good to me.
That was the whole point I used this recipe my mom made up, because she didn't want
to throw out stale bread and neither did I.
Add a pinch of salt, a few spoonful of sugar and add flour, just enough to make it thicker.
Plop the whole thing into a pan/pot and put it on the burner on low heat.
Keep an eye on it because it did not take long to cook.
When you see that the top part has turned brownish, that means the bengkang is ready. Or when you poke a fork in the middle and it came out clean, that could also means that it's cooked.
Mine was a bit charred, not sure whether it was the pot's fault or mine. Heh.

Well, that's all for tonight folks.
Will update more simple recipes when I have the time. Heh.

Wish Nigella lives next door! She cooks so simply yet yummy looking dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment