Friday, January 14, 2011

A blessing in disguise.

So, yesterday was my second day of class and we had to do a PowerPoint presentation.
The presentation was just a simple one and it went well. Though I felt silly standing in front of my younger 'classmates', because a) I'm waayyy older than them and b) my spoken English has gotten very, very rusty from lack of use, while the other students spoke like they were born with it. Nevertheless, I did enjoy the class.

Later on, I get to meet some of my friends who are still at USM, doing their research for their MSc and PhD. Quite a few of them were thrilled to learn that I offer translating, editing, proofreading and composing services. They complained that most journal publishers will turn down a journal submission if the written English is not up to par.

I still remember MY own thesis drafts that I gave to my supervisor. The paragraphs and in between the spacings were so full of red-inked corrections, marked by my SV, my drafts looked like they were printed in red ink rather than black, heh.

Anyway, a friend there told me that one MSc student from Indonesia would like to ask me to edit/proofread his journal draft. His SV, my ex-lecturer was having trouble understanding his findings because of the language barrier (his English was rusty too, the student, not the lecturer), though his results were very good. Seems like most of my friends who are doing their MSc/PhD at the engineering campus were experiencing the same problem. They told me that if they had known sooner that I offer such services, they would've asked for my help earlier.

I did offer this kind of service while I was doing my MSc, 3 years ago. But back then, it was more of doing a friend a favor rather than a service-business. Plus I could only help go through their theses if I have the time. Looks like I already have the practice I need to really make this little service a success.

It seems like my attending the business writing class has open up the door towards 'expanding' my little business empire.<-- wishful thinking on my part :p

Okey then people, I need to proofread/edit my new assignment, or I will not get paid.

2 comments:

  1. Why don`t u advertise your service in your blog..put a banner or something..heheh...
    BTW...this is my new blog..boleh tukar2 cerita..heheh

    ReplyDelete
  2. takpa la, takyah nak advertise besaq2 lg, aku buat pun bila anak2 dah tidoq, kalau dak depa kacau, advertise word-of-mouth pun jadi la, lgpun takut nnt kalau 'ramai'cust. takdan nak achieve dateline heheh...

    p/s: aku org first follow blog hg..hahahah yea yea

    ReplyDelete