Friday, January 28, 2011

Inferiority complex issues: Revisited

Last Wednesday, after my writing class was over, I went to visit Kak Min and some other friends who were still at Chemical Engineering. Kak Min and I then went to the cafe for a late lunch and got talking about our 'joblessness'. She expressed her own concerns about bagging a position in any institution after completing her PhD, due to her previous low-grade PNGK (marks for undergrad). My PNGK was quite low to and I told her maybe that's why I haven't receive any job interviews.

Anyway, after we were done exchanging interview stories, we switched to other job options that we could pursue. Each of us said our piece and then we'd both shoot down the idea, based on what we like and don't like. This went on for quite a while till I said, "We are limiting ourselves too much." <-- this sounded better in Malay,
diri menghalang diri sendiri.

I realize now that this attitude is what actually wrong with me. I keep limiting myself, holding myself back, from grabbing any opportunity that comes my way. For me to change, I HAVE to change this attitude.

So, when I read back this post, I decided that I should have written it this way:

i) Recipe? What recipe? I don't even
cook, so how am I suppose to write a post on recipe?
i) Recipe? Well, my mum does have quite a lot of scrumptious recipes I could write about. Especially, my late grandma's 'kampung' (village) type of food; kerabu ulam (vegetable salad), pucuk gajus cicah dengan air asam (cashew shoots with tamarind vinaigrette) and my favorite, ikan pekasam (fermented fish).

ii) Housekeeping tips? Hmm, all I ever care about while living here (MIL's house) is to keep things as tidy as humanly possible, with these 2 trouble-makers always making a mess and breaking everything. Half of the time, I'd basically follow them around the house, making sure they don't break anything else.
ii) Housekeeping tips? I do know a bit about that, though not much. I could try asking my mother, she's got loads of tips to pass on to me, like how to clean stained white clothe using Clorox and how to save on cleaning products.

iii) Blogging tutorials? I know *I* am the last person to be doing this. My blog is still very new & I think I am the one needing to read up more blogging tutes. :p
iii) Blogging tutorials? Well, this one, I might have to work hard on because I really don't know anything good to make a tutorial about. :p

iv)Beauty tips? Well, this one is a no-go too, just because I don't even wear make-up.
iv) Beauty tips? Atan might know a thing or two about make-up. I could ask her.

v) Short story/ novel? Now you're talking. girl! This is exactly up my alley. Haha! Ha! Ha!?
Not. What am I supposed to write about? Love stories? Funny ones? Mystery?
v) Short story/novel? Now you're talking. girl! This is exactly up my alley. Really, truly, I can make this work. A friend even gave me a suggestion about approaching publishers and asking about part-time writing with them. I haven't look into it yet, but I will do it!

My current situation is no longer about whether I can do this or not, it has now come to the stage where I HAVE TO and I NEED TO make it work! I'm already on the right track with my translation/proofreading/editing services, got a few potential 'customers' on board, so I just need to keep better track of who and when each project would be due.

Well, I feel better already. Thanks everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment