Saturday, April 2, 2011

Art Attact; Bubble Windmill

At around 7pm yesterday evening, we sat down and watched an educational segment on Astro TVIQ. I'm not sure what that segment was called but it featured a girl who made a Bubble Windmill out of milk cartoons and cardboard boxes. She was stressing about recycling rubbish to make fun things.

Now, you know that I have my stash of trash, right? I've written about them here. Since last night, Shahrin had kept going on and on about wanting to make a bubble windmill too. So, this morning, after being pestered about it for the zillionth time, I gave up. I told him, "All right, we'll make one for you and Adik (Nazrin)".

I took out my stash and luckily, I have just about everything that I would need to make A Bubble Windmill!

My stash: milk cartoons, a cardboard box, a Styrofoam thingy, wooden skewers and some glue (not in the picture).
 Mind you, this is not a tutorial, I'm just writing down my own way of doing this. I skipped some part from last night's show, since I was pressed for time and the boys were too 'helpful' with the scissors. Couldn't take the chance to take it slow and make everything pretty and decorative, hehe.

Poke one wooden skewer through the top section of a milk cartoon.

Cut another milk cartoon in half, this would be the container to hold the bubble mixture; some dish-washing liquid and water

My 'Handy Helpers' busy at work assembling the windmill.

I've cut some cardboard into rectangles to make the blades for the windmill, Shahrin helped me attach them on to the square Styrofoam.
Nazrin was really focused on the job!
The finished art.
The blades were cut-up cardboard, poked through with more wooden skewers and inserted into the square Styrofoam, the blades were set at an angle so that they can catch the wind. We placed a fan on the table to test the windmill. In this picture, you can't see the 4 wire loops I made. The wind was supposed to turn the blades as well as make bubbles by making the wires pass through the bubbly solution underneath the windmill.
 
Here is the windmill in action.



This new 'recycled toy' lasted for about 10 minutes, then everything fell apart. Heh. The soapy solution made the blades soggy and one by one they fell off. As I was in a hurry to finish tidying up the house and make breakfast, the project is a KIV for now. I managed to distract him with something else, but if I know my son, he'd usually forget something if that something has already been given/bought/done. I think I'm saved for now. For what it's worth, we did have fun watching the Windmill turn for the 10 minutes of its life. Heh.


I joined the Sassy Sites blog-hop party!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment